[LLVMdev] Pre-Allocation Schedulers in LLVM

Ghassan Shobaki ghassan_shobaki at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 00:57:54 PDT 2011

Hi Andy,

Please see my in-line answers below.

Regards

-Ghassan

________________________________
From: Andrew Trick <atrick at apple.com>
To: Ghassan Shobaki <ghassan_shobaki at yahoo.com>
Cc: "llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu" <llvmdev at cs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 8:02 PM
Subject: Re: [LLVMdev] Pre-Allocation Schedulers in LLVM

On Sep 23, 2011, at 6:16 AM, Ghassan Shobaki wrote:

Hi Andrew,

>What we have is not a patch to any of LLVM's schedulers. We have implemented our own scheduler and integrated it into LLVM 2.9 as yet-another scheduler. Our scheduler uses a combinatorial optimization approach to balance ILP and register pressure. In one experiment, we added more precise latency information for most common x86 instructions to our scheduler and noticed a 10% performance improvement on one FP2006 benchmark, namely gromacs. More precisely, we compared:
>

>(1) LLVM2.9+ourScheduler+preciseLatency
>
>against
>
>(2) LLVM2.9+ourScheduler+LLVM's-rough-1-10-latency-model
>

>And (1) was faster than (2) by 10%. We concluded that adding precise latency information may significantly improve the performance of programs like gromacs, which have a high degree of ILP. However, we did not do any performance analysis to verify that the performance improvement is indeed due to improving ILP scheduling (reducing pipeline stalls) not due to some other factor, such as memory performance, which may have gotten coincidentally improved by the reordering.

Thanks for the clear explanation. How much of LLVM's existing scheduler framework do you use? Do you schedule the selection DAG? Are  you using the same scheduling DAG built by the existing scheduler?

Ghassan: We are using LLVM's DAG but we convert it to our own format. Our scheduler has been originally developed as a standalone scheduler that reads its input DAGs from a text file. We currently have a little software layer that converts LLVM's DAG into our DAG data structure. Note that what we have now is a research prototype. The work may be productized later if it gives significantly better performance with an acceptable increase in compile time and if there is mutual interest in productizing it.

We are not currently running any performance analysis tools, but if you are interested, we can identify the code section whose reordering has led to this performance improvement and send you the generated code in both cases. We can probably narrow it down to one basic block fairly easily, because our scheduler only operates on the hottest 2 functions in that benchmark and those have a total of 18 basic blocks. BTW, do you guys run SPEC CPU2006? If not, which benchmarks do you use for evaluating LLVM's performance?

I run all the benchmarks in llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/test-suite/trunk. You can see that the "External" tests invoke the major SPEC CPU benchmark suites.

BTW, our scheduler's performance is about 3% faster than LLVM's ILP scheduler on that benchmark when it uses LLVM's 1-10 latency model. So, with the precise latency info, our scheduler is about 13% faster than LLVM's ILP scheduler on that benchmark.

Great. I'll be interested to see the details in your paper. We have not specifically tuned for SPEC CPU 2006.
I'm more interested in any insights you've gained while evaluating your scheduler's performance. It's one thing to measure speedup and another to understand it. And for me, the source of scheduling impact on x86 has been elusive. Are you using a machine-level profiling tool such as VTune?

Ghassan: We are currently looking into the gromacs case trying to identify the cause of the improved performance. We have been able to narrow it down to one basic block, but it is a relatively large one (~300 instructions). We are not currently using any performance analysis tool, but this test case may give us the motivation to start doing that.

Our work on pre-allocation instruction scheduling with register pressure minimization will be published soon, but if you would like to get an idea about my previous work on scheduling using branch-and-bound enumeration, you can find it on our school's research web page:

http://www.psut.edu.jo/research/index.html?fs=publications/drpub/ghassanshobakic.htm

Since the approach is fundamentally different from the heuristic approach used in LLVM's scheduler (and probably all schedulers found in production compilers), it will be hard to gain an interesting insight through a top-down analysis. In a heuristic approach, you are trying to come up with a prioritized set of rules for *guessing* the best choice, while in a branch-and-bound approach, you are trying to come up with a set of pruning techniques to make your exhaustive search as efficient as possible. However, a bottom-up analysis that examines particular test cases (like what we are currently trying to do with gromacs) may give some interesting insights. BTW, there are two other test cases for which our scheduler found significantly better schedules than LLVM's scheduler using LLVM's latencies (lbm on x86-64 (21%) and milc on x86-32 (13%)).  I will keep you updated with any findings that we may come up with.

What may be more interesting for you though is finding out whether adding more precise latency information improves the performance of LLVM's ILP scheduler. We are interested in answering that question too, and are willing to add an x86 machine model to LLVM if that task does not turn out to be too complicated. So, how easy will it be to add an x86 itinerary? Can you point me to the file or files that have to be added or changed? Where can I find an example of an existing itinerary for some other target?

ARM itineraries are in lib/Target/ARM/ARMScheduleV?.td. A description of the itinerary format is in include/llvm/Target/TargetSchedule.td.

It's easy to add a new itinerary, but hard to specify the behavior of x86 microarchitecture to put it mildly.The itinerary format is quite detailed and verbose as a result of being target independent. It's reasonably powerful, but you have to play tricks such as defining fake functional units to express constraints. You may run into some difficulty with micro-ops, but let's worry about that later.

Fortunately, latency is modeled independent of pipeline and functional units and much simpler to deal with. You won't be able to precisely specify the latency of the bypass network, but I wouldn't be concerned with that level of detail.

BTW, In the above described experiment, we have only added latency information; we did not add functional-unit information. However, we are interested in adding both, but we would like to do it in two steps (first latency only then functional unit info) and measure the impact of each step.
Good.

Thanks,
-Andy