[LLVMdev] PIC16 removal details

Matthew Hilt mhilt1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 22:59:17 PDT 2011

I've been looking closely at LLVM as a means to developing a new toolchain
for an MCU core of very similar architecture.  To that end, the once
included PIC16 backend might be a valuable reference.  I found a message in
April of this year that indicated it had been dropped from new releases
however, and that were it to be resumed "it will be largely a rewrite".

I'm wondering if I can get some details as to why it was dropped firstly and
also, why would it be 'largely a rewrite' if it were resumed?  Thanks in
advance.