[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

Matthieu Moy Matthieu.Moy at grenoble-inp.fr
Tue Sep 13 07:50:14 PDT 2011

dag at cray.com (David A. Greene) writes:

> But none of this explains how to prevent false conflicts when updating
> your git workarea from the svn git mirror.  The problem is that dcommit
> changes the hash from what's in your local repository to something
> different.  When you then update from the git mirror, you get a conflict
> because two commits with different hashes have the same file contents.

I guess you have to rebase (pull --rebase or so) your branches. "git
rebase" is relatively smart, and will skip patches that you already have
in your local branch.

I never used a mirror like LLVM's one (my contribution to LLVM boils
down to sending two patches that were superbly ignored by the list and
wait patiently on the bugtracker ^^), but when contributing a patch to
Git itself, one gets a similar effect: the local patches are sent as
email, applied by the maintainer, and get a different sha1 when you
pull. git rebase works like a charm in this setup (well, no big surprise
that Git is adapted to contribute to Git indeed ;-) ).

--
Matthieu Moy
http://www-verimag.imag.fr/~moy/