[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Thu Sep 8 21:30:15 PDT 2011

Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> writes:

> The transition from svn to git is a *social* evolution, not merely a
> technical one like the migration from cvs to svn was. The convenience
> of committing while you are in a plane is insignificant compared with
> the impact such social change can have on the project.

Thanks Oscar, I think this is exactly right.

A switch to git is scary because it *is* a shift in how we think about
the project.  For example, what is the easiest way for people to
contribute?  I agree with Oscar that a private branch to work out
changes and tool support for sending those changes upstream is a much
lower barrier than crafting patches individually (and guessing the
perfect line of development in the process) or ripping apart an svn
workarea diff (after lots of experimenting and getting things right) to
feed incremental changes upstream.  And again, God help you if you need
to rework those patches after getting feedback.  SVN is no help there.

So even if we ignore everying else people have posted about the
advantages of git for the project (and we do so at our own peril, IMHO),
if growing the developer pool is important, git/DVCS is the clear winner
to me.

                             -Dave