[LLVMdev] git Status Update?

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Thu Sep 8 21:13:26 PDT 2011

Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> writes:

>> In other words, svn is not a distributed SCM.  It has long struck me as
>> odd that a project whose license encourages private copies would stick
>> with an SCM that has no support for keeping such copies.
>>
> It's my understanding that the upcoming new version of SVN will have
> off-line commits available.

Frankly, that's the least important feature git has.

> And syncing will always be a problem if your tree has greatly diverged
> from the main trunk. No code management system will alleviate that.

Not true.  SCM support means you get to use all sorts of nice merge
tools to handle the sync.  Applying patches sucks.

>> You may not care, but don't claim the current model is not broken.
>>
> If you think git will help you with this, you use the git mirror (or
> create your own) and sync SVN to it. :-)

As several people have stated before, this is only a partial solution.
It leads to lots of false conflicts that must be resolved.

>>> The things I've heard against SVN appear to be relatively minor
>>> inconveniences.
>>
>> I assure you, they are not.
>>
> Just for the record, I've been using SVN for LLVM development for many
> years now.

Haven't we all?

> I've used it for our own, rather complex, internal use -- branching,
> patching, tagging. And while it may not be perfect, it's certainly not
> broken.

You must have a much higher pain threshold than I do.  :)

>> No, we don't.  We have a git-svn mirror which is crippled compared to
>> native git.
>
> So basically you want to use git and it doesn't play nicely with svn,
> and you're blaming svn.

No, I'm pointing out that svn doesn't support everything that some
people in the LLVM development community need to be able to do.

                       -Dave