[LLVMdev] Adding sub-commands and option classes to the command line library.

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 11:07:09 PDT 2011

On 23 October 2011 03:27, Michael Spencer <bigcheesegs at gmail.com> wrote:
> There was discussion on IRC about merging all of the compiler hacker
> tools (llvm-as, bugpoint, llc, lli, etc...) into a single llvm
> megatool. This tool would work similar to how most version control cli
> programs work. One would call 'llvm as bitcode.ll' instead of 'llvm-as
> bitcode.ll'. The main reason for this is to improve link time, but it
> also reduces the total file size (especially in the case of static
> linking), and makes it easier to discover the tools available.

One advantage of the current system (specially when building with cmake)
is that we have explicit list of dependencies and tools that use only a subset
of it. For example, that is what recently found a problem with the IL parser
depending on codegen.

I agree with Tobias that having better support for shared libraries is probably
a better solution for incremental builds.

Cheers,
Rafael