[LLVMdev] [RFC] What options should be hidden/not-hidden for opt command

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Tue Oct 25 10:09:23 PDT 2011

On Oct 24, 2011, at 8:29 PM, 陳韋任 wrote:

> Hi, all
>
>  Take the discussion thread [1] as an example. Although "-help-hidden"
> is not intended to be use by normal folk, I think there should be
> somewhere notes "-help-hidden" revealing more options which might be
> needed by developers. I thought it will be a good idea to mention the
> existence of "-help-hidden" on the web page, but the patch I sent brought
> some discussion on llvm-commits [2][3]. Duncan suggested that there are
> options should be not-hidden but hidden, and vice versa. And we should
> regroup those options into hidden/not-hidden.

The logic here is that these flags should only be used by people looking at code.  For example, if a pass has a hidden option that controls some knob, you should only find out about it by reading the code.  We don't want people surfing through all the hidden options to "see what is available".

What specific knobs are you interested in?  Maybe they shouldn't be hidden.

-Chris