[LLVMdev] is anyone using the alpha backend?

David A. Greene greened at obbligato.org
Tue Oct 25 09:29:56 PDT 2011

Dan Gohman <gohman at apple.com> writes:

> I'm removing old targets that no longer appear actively maintained,
> to reduce the burden for target-independent codegen maintenance.
>
> Does anyone object to the removal of the Alpha backend?

It would be a shame to lose it.  Alpha is an excellent example of a good
RISC-style ISA.  There's at least one simulator out there that uses it.

What is the burden you are trying to reduce here?  I don't think we
should be throwing out targets for the sake of throwing them out.
Having multiple targets is a good way to ensure the target independent
stuff stays target independent.

                              -Dave