[LLVMdev] is anyone using the sparc backend?

Benedikt Huber benedikt at vmars.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Oct 25 08:21:48 PDT 2011

Dan Gohman <gohman <at> apple.com> writes:

> I'm removing old targets that no longer appear actively maintained,
> to reduce the burden for target-independent codegen maintenance.
>
> Does anyone object to the removal of the Sparc backend?

Removing the SPARC backend would be a pity.
We use it in both teaching and research on embedded systems, targeting
the LEON3 processor from Aeroflex Gaisler [1].

In addition to the other objections raised in this thread, there are ongoing
efforts to build the RTEMS operating system with clang [2]. Quoting [2]:

> clang does not support most of the architectures
> supported by RTEMS.  The intersection is x86,
> mips, powerpc, sparc, sparcv9, arm, thumb, and blackfin.
> In some cases, it does not cover the architectural
> variants we care most about.  For example, the
> space community uses hardened SPARC V7 CPUs a lot
> with RTEMS and only V8 is supported by clang right now.

Kind Regards,
Benedikt Huber

[1] http://www.gaisler.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content
&task=section&id=4&Itemid=33