[LLVMdev] VLIW Ports

Carlos Sánchez de La Lama carlos.delalama at urjc.es
Mon Oct 24 14:38:17 PDT 2011

Hi Evan (and all),

> I think any implementation that makes a "bundle" a different entity from MachineInstr is going to be difficult to use. All of the current backend passes will have to taught to know about bundles.

The approach in the patch I sent (and I believe Timo's code works similar, according to his explanations) is precisely to make "bundles" no different from MachineInstructions. They are MIs (a class derived from it), so all other passes work transparently with them. For example, in my code register allocator does not know it is allocating regs for a bundle, it sees it just as a MI using a lot of registers. Of course, normal (scalar) passes can not "inspect" inside bundles, and wont be able for example to put spilling code into bundles or anything like that.

But the good point is that bundles (which are MIs) and regular MIs can coexist inside a MachineBasicBlock, and bundles can easily be "broken back" to regular MIs when needed for some pass.

> I think what we need is a concept of a sequence of fixed machine instructions. Something that represent a number of MachineInstr's that are scheduled as a unit, something that is never broken up by MI passes such as branch folding. This is something that current targets can use to, for example, pre-schedule instructions. This can be useful for macro-fusing optimization. It can also be used for VLIW targets.

There might be something I am missing, but I do not see the advantage here. Even more, if you use sequences you need to find a way to tell the passes how long a sequence is. On the other hand, if you use a class derived from MI, the passes know already (from their POV their are just dealing with MIs). You have of course to be careful on how you build the bundles so they have the right properties matching those of the inner MIs, and there is where the pack/unpack methods come in.

BR

Carlos