[LLVMdev] Problems with llvm-gcc and gold plugin

Luis D. Pedrosa luis.pedrosa at usc.edu
Fri Oct 21 22:12:16 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm new to LLVM and I'm still trying to learn how to get everything up
and running. I'm trying to use llvm-gcc with the gold plugin and it
complains that it can't find LLVMgold.so. As a simple test case I
wrote a very basic C file:
--- main.c ---
int main () {
         return 0;
}
------
and compiled it with:
$ llvm-gcc -use-gold-plugin main.c
llvm-gcc: -use-gold-plugin, but LLVMgold.so not found.

The file in question, LLVMgold.so, was successfully compiled into
llvm/Release+Asserts/lib/LLVMgold.so and I copied it into
llvm-gcc/libexec/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.2.1/LLVMgold.so. It is
my understanding that the file is looked for in the same directory
that has cc1 and I have a
llvm-gcc/libexec/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.2.1/cc1.

Does anyone know what I am missing?

Thanks.

-- Luis D. Pedrosa