[LLVMdev] LLVM Language Reference Strictness

Jim Grosbach grosbach at apple.com
Thu Oct 20 06:50:24 PDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 2:37 AM, Shea Levy wrote:

> On 10/19/11 11:58 PM, Eli Friedman wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:20 PM, Shea Levy<shea at shealevy.com>  wrote:
>>> 2. Are target-specific behaviors documented for each supported target?
>> When anything has target-specific behavior, that fact should be
>> documented.  Beyond that, if you have a question about what some
>> construct is supposed to do, please ask.
> What I meant was: for a given target-specific behavior, is there
> anywhere I can look to see what the behavior specifically is for, say,
> i686-pc-linux, like you are supposed to be able to for
> implementation-defined behaviors in C?

For the level of specificity you're looking for, just the source code itself. The LLVM IR language documentation is not, and isn't intended to be, a true language standard document in the same way that the C or C++ standards are. For any given case, check the docs first, and if your question isn't answered there, check the source code of the target(s) you're interested in.

Regards,
  Jim

>>> 5. Are there any language features with non-performance related semantic