[LLVMdev] Is there a separate linker for LLVM in Windows?

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Sun Oct 16 08:53:04 PDT 2011

On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv at wanadoo.es> wrote:
> Or just get it from your Linux distro.

I didn't realize.  That's Just Dandy.

> For instance, the
> mingw32-binutils package in Debian-based distros will provide a nice
> `ld' for cross-compiling to Windows.

One Mac OS X there are various i386-mingw32 packages in MacPorts:

http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=name&substr=mingw

Here are the MacPorts installation instructions:

http://www.macports.org/install.php

Fedora has a lot of packages that have been built with MingW:

https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/list/?searchwords=mingw32*

There doesn't seem to be a 64-bit port of MingW yet.  I would expect
GNU Binutils to support 64-bit Windows if you built its source
yourself - is that the case?

The key part of MingW that makes Windows development possible on so
many other platforms is that they have written their own Win32 header
files and C runtime library.  That way one does not need a Visual
Studio license to use its library and headers.

To do 64-bit development on Windows completely without Visual Studio,
one would need those headers.

However, there is a "Lite" version of Visual Studio that Microsoft
distributes for free.  If it includes the 64-bit headers one could use
those until MingW completes its 64-bit support.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation
quixote at dulcineatech.com