[LLVMdev] Is there a separate linker for LLVM in Windows?

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Sat Oct 15 23:33:14 PDT 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Ivan Krasin <krasin at google.com> wrote:
> I'm not related to the topic starter, but I see at least one huge
> disadvantage of the dependency on link.exe.
> W/o such a dependency it would be possible reliably generate Windows
> executables on Linux or Mac, which has its own benefits (e.g.
> distributed compilation)

GRUB, the Grand Unified Build that the Lilypond music engraving system
uses does something like that.

If you build the GNU Binutils in a cross-compilation mode you can do that.

Our examples ought to at least mention that one can use Gnu ld on any
platform that ld runs on to link executables for any platform it
generates binraries for.

Even better would be to provide instructions for building such a
cross-linker.  I'd love to write those instructions myself it but I've
got a lot on my plate right now.
--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation