[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Representation of OpenCL Memory Spaces

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Thu Oct 13 11:59:47 PDT 2011

Justin,
 Out of these options, I would take the metadata approach for AA support.

This doesn't solve the problem of different frontend/backends choosing different
address space representations for the same language, but is the correct
approach for providing extra information to the optimizations.

The issue about memory spaces in general is a little different. For example, based on
the code you posted below, address space 0(default) is global in CUDA, but
in OpenCL, the default address space is private. So, how does the ptx backend
handle the differences? I think this is problematic as address spaces
are language constructs and hardcoded at the frontend, but the backend needs to be
able to interpret them differently based on the source language.

One way this could be done is to have the backends have options, but then
each backend would need to implement this. I think a better approach is
to have some way to represent address spaces generically in the module.

Micah