[LLVMdev] getting object from BitCastInst?

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 12 12:03:31 PDT 2011

On 10/11/11 10:46 PM, ret val wrote:
> My pass is looking at StoreInsts acting on global variable that happen
> to be function pointers. From these StoreInsts I would like to get
> useful information(the function used if a direct assignment, function
> pointer used, etc) from the  getValueOperand() method. Looking through
> several examples I see that this can return several things like:
> GlobalVariable, Function, LoadInst or BitCastInst depending on how
> much "indirection" is used.
>
> In the case of BitCastInst my dump shows "%ptr.addr = alloca i8*,
> align 8", I would like to isolate this just to "ptr". Ive tried doing
> another dyn_cast to AllocaInt, but I couldn't find any relevant
> methods. How Can I do this?

First, remember that you can strip away pointer casts by using the
stripPointerCasts() method of llvm::Value.  So, instead of using the
code you have below, you can write:

if (LoadInst * load = dyn_cast<LoadInst>(rhs->stripPointerCasts()) {
}

Second, your question about the alloca is confusing.  In the instruction:

%ptr.addr = alloca i8*, align 8

... there is no SSA value named %ptr that is an operand of the alloca.

I'm guessing that you're trying to find the name of the C variable for
which the alloca was generated when compiling from C source code to LLVM
IR.  To do that, you'll need to use LLVM debug metadata.

-- John T.