[LLVMdev] Enhancing TableGen

Evan Cheng evan.cheng at apple.com
Fri Oct 7 11:49:01 PDT 2011

On Oct 7, 2011, at 11:23 AM, David A. Greene wrote:

> Evan Cheng <evan.cheng at apple.com> writes:
>
>> David, we cannot accept the 'multidef' keyword. Please revert it.
>
> Working on it now.

Thanks.

>> We appreciate you thinking ahead about MIC, but we are against the
>> massive refactoring and complicated abstraction scheme. We'll never
>> accept those patches.
>
> How about a less massive and complicated scheme?  I think we can
> make some good improvements to the current spec that will help
> with the MIC work.

I'd like to defer MIC work until it's finalized. But yes, incremental refinement is always welcome.

>> Your proposed new TableGen functionalities are interesting but it is
>> clearly not where the code owners want it to go.
>
> Jakob at least seems interested in the for loop stuff.  Am I reading you
> correctly, Jakob?  Having that feature would make a huge difference.
>
> Frankly, the way things are with the x86 SIMD stuff is not scalable.
> I'd like to clean some of that up, in an incremental way, of course.

It's not like we are against improvements that make td files better. But there is fine balance we should strive for. Readability, maintainability, and ease of debugging are very important.

Thanks,

Evan