[LLVMdev] LLVM IR is a compiler IR

David Sehr sehr at google.com
Tue Oct 4 17:39:00 PDT 2011

All,

I should have chimed in earlier, but have been working on two more
side-channel variants of this conversation.
At the beginning the PNaCl team was strongly pushing for trying to keep
platform ABI compatibility on all
platforms while taking one portable bitcode stream as input.  During the
discussions we've had over the past few
weeks it became obvious that that is simply not tractable, and we're trying
to work in a slightly different direction
that meets PNaCl's needs.

PNaCl needs to have one bitcode representation that can be lowered to
efficient ABIs on all target platforms.
We're not constrained to have to use the exact ABI that trusted code would
on each of the platforms, however.
For reasons of portability we've already eliminated long double support (or
made it equivalent to double if you prefer).
And we're currently proposing to use the platform ABIs, except that
structure arguments (including unions, bitfields, etc.)
are always passed in memory.  With this set of caveats we think we can meet
our objectives for at least x86-32,
x86-64, and ARM.  The remaining complexity is making byval usable on all
platforms so that we can have one representation.
Of course we'd like community input on the issues we've overlooked.

There are other issues of compatibility that still keep us awake at night,
of course, and I hope the next developers'
conference will give us the chance to wrangle with some of those.

David