[LLVMdev] [RFC] Proposal to make LLVM-IR endian agnostic

Samuel Crow samuraileumas at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 4 09:48:00 PDT 2011

>________________________________

--snip--

Hello Micah,

Without having read a lot into your plan I'd like to make a few suggestions:  Some game systems use mixed-endian datalayouts as a form of lockouts for homebrew software.  While I believe it isn't a terribly effective mechanism, it does leave LLVM unable to be used for such game systems.  I think LLVM should allow some sort of swizzle mechanism to allow such mixed-endian datalayouts.  (I think swizzle is the correct term.)

Also, as a co-developer of Clang's AROS backend, it would be really handy to have an endian-agnostic bitcode format since our OS covers about 5 different CPU architectures, some of which are big-endian.  We were hoping to base a superset of the ELF loader that would be endian-agnostic based on PNaCl's bitcode format.

Thanks for taking this challenge on,

--Samuel Crow