[LLVMdev] Vectors of Pointers and Vector-GEP

Rotem, Nadav nadav.rotem at intel.com
Wed Nov 23 01:18:42 PST 2011

Hi,

Following the discussion in last week's LLVM developers conference I started working on support for vectors-of-pointers.  Vectors of pointers are needed for supporting scatter/gather operations and are the first step in the direction of supporting predicated architectures.  In the attached patch, I change the LLVM-IR in order to support vectors-of-pointers and added basic support for vector-gep.  In following patches I plan to extend the vector-gep support to more indices and add scatter/gather intrinsics.

I started by implementing vector-gep support for a simple case where there is a single index.  The reason for this limitation, as noted by Dan Gohman, is that pointers may point to structs, and vectors of indices may point to different members in the struct. I am aware of the fact that supporting multiple indices is an important feature and I do intend to add support for multiple indices in the future.

Please review the attached patch.

Thanks,
Nadav
Intel Israel (74) Limited