[LLVMdev] How can I output assembly comments from emitPrologue()?

Stephen McGruer stephen.mcgruer at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 08:13:15 PST 2011

So, an update. I have managed to generate comments, although it does create
a non-existent instruction. My method is as follows (and I would appreciate
any comments on how to do it "better", although note that this won't make
it into the final code :).)

1. I declared a "fake" instruction type to hold comments, ala:

class FakeInst<dag outs, dag ins, string asmstr, list<dag> pattern> :
Instruction {
  field bits<32> Inst;

  let Namespace = "XXX"
  let Inst{31-0} = 0;

  dag OutOperandList = outs;
  dag InOperandList = ins;
  let AsmString = asmstr;
  let Pattern = pattern;
}

2. I then defined a comment instruction, ala:

def COMMENT : FakeInst<(outs), (ins Reg:$fake), "; $fake", []>;

3. I added the following to printOperand(...) in XXXAsmPrinter.cpp:

switch (MO.getType()) {
  case MachineOperand::MO_Metadata:
    O << cast<MDString>(MO.getMetadata()->getOperand(0))->getString();
    break;
}

4. Finally, whenever I needed to emit comments I call the following:

MDNode* comment =
MDNode::get(getGlobalContext(),
ArrayRef<Value*>(MDString::get(getGlobalContext(),
"COMMENT HERE")));
BuildMI(MBB, MBBI, dl, TII.get(XXX::COMMENT)).addMetadata(comment);

So, this seems to work, although it will create an empty instruction (I
think). That could probably be cleaned up before MC emission, but I would
really just remove the comments anyway. Any suggestions on a better way to
do this (or a pointer to some obvious existing solution!) welcome :).

Stephen