[LLVMdev] Build LLVM as a DLL on Windows x86

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Nov 14 06:37:00 PST 2011

"Alan Garny" <agarny at hellix.com> writes:

>> GNU make is essential to msys build. I guess msysdtk would have it.
>
> I could find a copy of msysDTK at
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Other/Unsupported/MSYS/msysDTK/,
> but not only is the 'latest' version a very old version (2003!), but once
> installed I couldn't find a copy of gmake in it.

msysDTK is *not* required (nor useful) for building LLVM. Plain MSYS
used to include a `make' command.

[snip]

> I wish the documentation on how to build a shared version of LLVM on Windows
> was up-to-date (e.g. the need for Python is not mentioned) and links to
> where to get prerequisites mentioned. I would be happy to help with this,
> but I would first need to be able to build LLVM... Otherwise, it would be
> nice, too, to have CMake to fully work with LLVM... :)

The CMake build should work on Windows, with either VS or MinGW. LLVM
DLL's on Windows are not supported by the CMake build because the LLVM
source code lacks the symbol export directives, not because the CMake
build is missing anything. The autoconf build exploits a feature of
MinGW's binutils that auto-exports all symbols, like in Linux. It is a
bit fragile. Building the big DLL would be also possible with the CMake
build using the same technique, but AFAIR nobody cared too much.