[LLVMdev] large llc footprint

reed kotler rkotler at mips.com
Thu Nov 3 15:02:27 PDT 2011

We have a large bitcode file produced from a tool. It's about 23 meg.

When we compile this with llc, the footprint is 4-7 gig depending on
which target.

On a desktop this is not such a problem but it is on mobile devices.

The suspect is that the flow graph for the entire program is built and
kept for the duration, even if no optimization needing it all is in
progress.

This would make us think that if we wrote a tool to split the bitcode up
into separate files that we could work around this.

Maybe there are other possible solutions.

Any thoughts or experience from others on this problem would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA,

Reed