[LLVMdev] RFC: Upcoming Build System Changes

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Tue Nov 1 03:09:41 PDT 2011

Am 01.11.2011 05:59, schrieb Marc J. Driftmeyer:
> Then this complaint about build times and extra CPU cycles when you're
> living in a world of systems soon to average 16GB of RAM, 4-12 cores and
> GPUs that would make any old Animator dream back in the '90s really
> makes me laugh.

Not disagreeing about the rest, but here I have to. In today's projects,
full rebuilds take hours where they should take minutes, and minutes
where they should take seconds.
Hour-long rebuilds turn releases into things that must be organized and
coordinated; minute-long rebuilds still disrupt workflow. Time and
effort spent on getting the build process fast are well invested.

On the reasons why make-based builds are slow, Peter Miller has some
insight to offer:
http://miller.emu.id.au/pmiller/books/rmch/ .
I'm not sure how widely recognized that paper is. Maybe it's widely
known and today's build times stem from other things than recursive make.

Regards,
Jo