[LLVMdev] predicates and conditional execution

Rotem, Nadav nadav.rotem at intel.com
Tue May 24 01:47:39 PDT 2011

Hi Roy,

The LLVM IR does not support predicated instructions. However, it is possible to generate predicated assembly code. The x86 CMov instruction is one example.

I assume that your input program is not predicated and you are trying to use the unique features of your architecture, which has instruction predication.

I can think of several ways to implement this for your backend:

1. You can implement custom lowering to specific operations. The X86TargetLowering::LowerSELECT method in the X86 backend lowers the SELECT instruction to CMOV in many cases.
2. You can implement DAG combining optimizations for your backend which detect interesting patterns.
3. In some cases you can implement codegen patterns (in the td files). I suspect that this will be more difficult to implement and you will have to use #1 or #2.
4. If you are writing a domain specific language, you can generate intrinsic in your LLVM-IR.

Cheers,
Nadav