[LLVMdev] LLVM teaching materials

Christian Plessl christian.plessl at uni-paderborn.de
Tue May 24 01:18:46 PDT 2011

On 28.02.2011, at 15:44, Tobias Grosser wrote:

> On 02/28/2011 05:27 AM, Christian Plessl wrote:
>> Hi everyone
>>
>> I am teaching a lecture on hardware/software codesign which, though not a dedicated compiler course, covers quite a bit of compiler related contents (general introduction, intermediate code, code generation).
>>
>> I'm currently considering replacing and/or extending this compiler related lecture parts with an introduction to LLVM as an example for a modern compiler framework, which we are also using extensively in our research.
>>
>> Does anybody know of good teaching materials on LLVM? For example, a basic compiler course that use LLVM as a example? I searched the web a bit but didn't find anything suitable.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   Christian
>
> I put some slides I used on my webpage.
>
> http://www.grosser.es
>
> You can use them. However, they are just a bunch and only about specific
> topics. No general compiler introduction. Furthermore, we did have a lot
> of interactive discussions, so without having attended the class they
> may be difficult to understand.

Thanks, your slides have been helpful. For my course, I came up with the following set of slides for a basic introduction to LLVM.

http://homepages.uni-paderborn.de/plessl/lectures/2011-Codesign/slides/02-Compiler-LLVM.pdf

Anyone is welcome to use these slides.

> It would be great to create a svn branch to share slides for such a course.

Definitely. Such teaching materials would be very useful.

Cheers,
 Christian