[LLVMdev] identifying all dependent instructions through multi-levels of def-use relationship

Chuck Zhao czhao at eecg.toronto.edu
Sun May 8 19:11:29 PDT 2011

John, Ether,

Thank you for the reply.

With John's help and suggestions from Ether, I can now identify the full
list of dependent instructions that I need to make a copy and insert
somewhere else (before their original location).

Here is the list:

0    %90 = load i32* @strstart, align 4
1    %91 = add i32 %90, 2
2    %88 = load i32* @ins_h, align 4
3    %92 = getelementptr inbounds [65536 x i8]* @window, i32 0, i32 %91
4    %89 = shl i32 %88, 5
5    %93 = load i8* %92, align 1
6    %.masked = and i32 %89, 32736
7    %94 = zext i8 %93 to i32
8    %95 = xor i32 %94, %.masked
9    %.sum73 = or i32 %95, 32768
10    %104 = getelementptr inbounds [65536 x i16]* @prev, i32 0, i32 %.sum73
11    %take_addr2 = getelementptr i16* %104
12    %105 = bitcast i16* %take_addr2 to i8*
13    call void @bkp_memory(i8* %105, i32 2)

But, when I try to insert them in the above order into a PREVIOUS
location, the "Instruction does not dominate all uses!" still shows up:

Here is the code I was trying to do the clone and insert:

std::vector<Instruction *>::iterator p;
Instruction * Pos = INSERT_POSITION;
for(p = coll.begin(); p != coll.end(); ++p){
   Instruction * CurI = *p;
   Instruction * CloneI = CurI->clone();
   CloneI->InsertAfter(Pos);
   Pos = CloneI;
}

i am not sure if this it the right approach to insert a list of
dependent instructions. (For delete instructions, people need to collect
them 1st before removing. Are there similar process for insertion?)
There doesn't seem to have Phi node in the list.

The instructions seem to be inside a single BasicBlock. Would it help?

Thank you very much

Chuck

P.S.
Here is the full list of errors:

Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %88 = bitcast i16* %take_addr2 to i8*
   call void @bkp_memory(i8* %88, i32 2)
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %take_addr2 = getelementptr i16* %89
   %89 = getelementptr inbounds [65536 x i16]* @prev, i32 0, i32 %.sum73
   %take_addr2 = getelementptr i16* %89
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %.sum73 = or i32 %90, 32768
   %89 = getelementptr inbounds [65536 x i16]* @prev, i32 0, i32 %.sum73
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %90 = xor i32 %91, %.masked
   %.sum73 = or i32 %90, 32768
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %91 = zext i8 %92 to i32
   %90 = xor i32 %91, %.masked
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %92 = load i8* %94, align 1
   %91 = zext i8 %92 to i32
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %93 = shl i32 %95, 5
   %.masked = and i32 %93, 32736
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %94 = getelementptr inbounds [65536 x i8]* @window, i32 0, i32 %96
   %92 = load i8* %94, align 1
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %95 = load i32* @ins_h, align 4
   %93 = shl i32 %95, 5
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %96 = add i32 %97, 2
   %94 = getelementptr inbounds [65536 x i8]* @window, i32 0, i32 %96
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %97 = load i32* @strstart, align 4
   %96 = add i32 %97, 2
   store i32 %90, i32* @ins_h, align 4
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %90 = xor i32 %91, %.masked
   %.sum39 = or i32 %90, 32768
   %100 = getelementptr inbounds [65536 x i16]* @prev, i32 0, i32 %.sum39
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %100 = getelementptr inbounds [65536 x i16]* @prev, i32 0, i32 %.sum39
   %101 = load i16* %100, align 2
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %101 = load i16* %100, align 2
   %102 = zext i16 %101 to i32
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %101 = load i16* %100, align 2
   store i16 %101, i16* %103, align 2
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %89 = getelementptr inbounds [65536 x i16]* @prev, i32 0, i32 %.sum73
   store i16 %105, i16* %89, align 2
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %101 = load i16* %100, align 2
   %108 = icmp ne i16 %101, 0
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %108 = icmp ne i16 %101, 0
   %or.cond47 = and i1 %108, %110
Instruction does not dominate all uses!
   %or.cond47 = and i1 %108, %110
   br i1 %or.cond47, label %bb3, label %bb9

Broken module found, compilation aborted!