[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] Announcing: LLVM 2.9 RC2 Testing Phase

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri Mar 25 17:12:05 PDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Michel Alexandre Salim <
salimma at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> I guess I ought to clarify -- any reason one can't use the gtest tool as
> shipped by Google, rather than the embedded one?

A few reasons come to mind:

1) We've had to patch GoogleTest several times to make it work with LLVM &
Clang.
2) It's more stable to used a locked version checked in and released with
LLVM & Clang.
3) The GoogleTest developers and maintainers (I'm one of them) recommend and
encourage this. We've considered removing support for installing it at all,
and may still do so. It just doesn't make a lot of sense outside the context
of a particular source tree and build system, often requires custom
modifications to the build system to use, and avoids pain when GoogleTest
APIs change between versions.

Still, as Eric said, if it works for you...