[LLVMdev] dragonegg + jit ?

Eli Friedman eli.friedman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:25:17 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Jason E. Aten <j.e.aten at gmail.com> wrote:
> A sublte question about Dragonegg: is Dragonegg usable for Just-in-time
> compiling as well as ahead-of-time compilation?
>
> If not, how hard would it be to enable JIT using dragonegg? Say one wanted
> to use the gnu fortran-2008 front end, and to jit up some fortran code.  How
> difficult would it be to adapt it?

There isn't any fundamental reason why you couldn't compile a piece of
Fortran and JIT the resulting IR; IR is IR, no matter how you get it.
Given the architecture of gcc, though, you'd probably have to run
dragonegg gfortran as a separate process.  And you'd need to come up
with some trickery to make the Fortran libs available for the
application.  All relatively straightforward, but I don't see the
point.

-Eli