[LLVMdev] Prevent unbounded memory consuption of long lived JIT processes

José Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Thu Mar 24 07:23:37 PDT 2011

On 03/16/2011 03:39 PM, Jakob Stoklund Olesen wrote:
> On Mar 16, 2011, at 6:19 AM, José Fonseca wrote:

>>> Thanks for working on this.
>>>
>>> Did you measure the performance impact of these changes?
>>>
>> I tracked performance with this change with X86 JIT and there was no
>> measurable difference, but the performance was governed more by the
>> quality of the compiled code, and not so much the compilation time.
>>
>> If you can point me to a good compilation time benchmark I can get some
>> figures.
>>
> I normally use 403.gcc, but if you don't have SPEC sources, these tests in the nightly test suite take a while to compile:
>
> MultiSource/Applications/ClamAV
> MultiSource/Applications/JM/ldecod
> MultiSource/Applications/JM/lencod
> MultiSource/Applications/SPASS
> MultiSource/Applications/kimwitu++/kc
> MultiSource/Applications/sqlite3/sqlite3
>
> If you run 'make TEST=nightly', both llc and opt compile times are interesting. The runtime of opt is cryptically reported in the GCCAS column.
>
> /jakob

Jakob,

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

I've finally got around to build and run the nightly tests, with and
without my changes, and times on the GCCAS column vary a few percent on
both directions. That is, whatever effect my change has is lost in noise.

I'm going to re-submit my patches to llvm-commits.

Jose