[LLVMdev] [GSoC] Interface layer for optimizers

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Tue Mar 22 20:18:27 PDT 2011

On 3/23/2011 6:07 AM, Крылов Владислав wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I like open technologies, epecially LLVM compiler. I want to implement
> a new interface layer in LLVM to plug-in optimizers as a part of GSoC,
> and then load the interface with optimizers.

LLVM already has a plug-in framework for loading new analysis and
optimization passes (http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMPass.html).  What
makes your proposal different?

> This would improve LLVM application for people who want to use their
> optimizations in compilers.
>
> The first "educative" step is to add Doxygen (for .h files) to the
> build and integrate it into the programmer manual [1]. Then I will try
> to clean up interface layer to the optimizer so it can be potentially
> replaced.

Doxygen docs are already available for LLVM (http://llvm.org/doxygen).
Personally, I don't see a need to make them part of the Programmer's
Manual, although having a link from the Programmer's Manual to the
doxygen docs is probably a good idea (if it doesn't exist already).

> This task is close to "superoptimizer" task from "Miscellaneous
> Additions" list, so I believe there are guys here who could mentor my
> GSoC project. If there are any of you who can mentor the project, I
> prepare and send detailed implementation plan here.

The superoptimizer idea looks kinda cool.

-- John T.