[LLVMdev] LLVM vs GCC binary performance

Yuli Fiterman fiterman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 23:14:34 PST 2011

Dear LLVM Team,

As a developer I'm very excited and interested in the LLVM project. Though
my knowledge of the details is cursory my general understanding is that the
SSA code that LLVM front ends produce is supposed to allow for optimizations
that are unfeasible in GCC. I also expect most important optimizations from
GCC would have been incorporated into LLVM by now since GCC code is open for
everyone to see. Therefore I'm surprised to see that in most benchmarks LLVM
produces binaries are 10-15% slower than their GCC counterparts.  Would you
mind explaining the main reasons for why this is the case? Also, what
remains to be done for LLVM to surpass GCC in terms of binary performance?

Thanks,
Yuli