[LLVMdev] [PTX] Should we keep backward-compatibility of PTX?

Che-Liang Chiou clchiou at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 19:03:50 PST 2011

Hi Justin,

There are some backward incompatible features of PTX; for example,
special registers are redefined as v4i32 (they were v4i16) in PTX 2.0.
And CUDA 4.0 was rolled out last week. I heard that some instructions
are deprecated.

I am not sure how stable (or unstable) PTX specification is. Do you
have a rough assessment of its stability?

If PTX specification is still fast evolving, I would suggest we keep
up with latest specification, and consider backward compatibility
later when it is stabilized. What do you think?

Regards,
Che-Liang