[LLVMdev] Using LLVM to convert a language to another language

krys at polarlights.net krys at polarlights.net
Tue Mar 8 12:47:38 PST 2011

Hi,

Sorry for my newbies questions... but here it is...

My goal is to have a "shading language", it is very similar to the "C" language but with special tokens.

I have a parser and a lexer done with Lex/bison, once I have lexed/parsed my "shading language" I must create 3 new "source code" in OpenCL.

It mean that by example for the following :

shader matte(float Kd, color c)
{
  Ci = diffuse(Kd * c);
}

I have to create 3 methods in OpenCL, by example

1 - matte_sampling
2 - matte_pdf
3 - matte_f

Each of theses method is in OpenCL (It is like C too).

So, I would like to use LLVM to create an optimized version of my shader code. But once I have the LLVM byte code... how can I parse it "easily" to create my shader code ?

NB: also, you can tell me if it is really a good idea !

Thanks