[LLVMdev] New Configure Option for LLVM Builds

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Mon Jun 20 08:47:32 PDT 2011

On 6/20/11 10:39 AM, Justin Holewinski wrote:
> For the PTX back-end, I would like to introduce a configure-time
> option to determine the number of architectural registers available to
> LLVM register allocation during code generation.  The motivation for
> this is PTX is a virtual instruction set and the number of registers
> is configurable in the output file.  Thus, the number of registers
> specified via tablegen is arbitrary.  For different use-cases, it may
> be desirable to change this number.

Is it possible to make this option a command-line option to llc instead
of a configure-time option?

In my experience, it's better to make these options command-line options
to tools when possible; that way, when someone wants to experiment with
changing the parameter, they do not need to recompile.

-- John T.