[LLVMdev] Build of C++ project with clang++ fails (local symbol 1: discarded in section `xxx')

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Sat Jun 11 13:22:54 PDT 2011

On 06/11/2011 12:40, Samuel Crow wrote:
> Did you look athttp://cfe.llvm.org/compatibility.html  yet?

I couldn't find any clues there. This site mostly talks about C++ issues
stemming from C++ templates.

But here is what I noticed: linker complains several times on the same
weak symbol (W in 'nm' output) for some inline function that occurs in
various .o files in various .a libraries being linked into executable.

For example, linker complains on an implicit (compiler-generated)
destructor for one class from the header included into many .cpp files.
This destructor appears many times as 'W' symbol in all .o files for
these .cpp files.

Why would linker not ignore W symbols and instead produce such weird
error messages?

Yuri