[LLVMdev] [MCJIT] Why does it allocate function by function?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Tue Jul 5 18:04:47 PDT 2011

I am implementing ELFObject class for MCJIT to be able to run ELFs on
ELF-platforms.

One thing bothers me: I see that the RTDyldMemoryManager-based allocator
is always passed to MCJIT and to RuntimeDyld classes from outside. This
enforces the approach that memory will be allocated function by function
with startFunctionBody/endFunctionBody. This maybe was good for the old
JIT, but not for MCJIT.

For ELF for example this isn't right. ELF is designed to be loaded into
memory as a whole. I don't know much about MachO, but most likely it
should be normally loaded into memory by OS in one block too, as a
consequence of efficiency considerations.

So is this a design flaw that should be fixed? Or am I missing something?

I think I can lower the allocator from MCJIT into inside of RuntimeDyld.
So at least ELF will be able to use the bulk allocator. But I though I
ask here first.

Thank you,
Yuri