[LLVMdev] Pointer Constant?

Kenneth Uildriks kennethuil at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 07:19:50 PDT 2011

1. Create an extern global variable of the type being pointed to.  Use
ExecutionEngine::addGlobalMapping to map that extern global variable
to the pointer.  Then your IR code can refer to the extern global
variable and get the pointer.
2. Convert the pointer to an int.  Create an int constant in IR.  Then
add an inttoptr instruction, and your IR has the pointer constant.
Last I checked, though, the generated X86 code doesn't treat the
resulting pointer as a constant... for instance, if you use it as a
function pointer, the X86 code ends up being an indirect call through
a function pointer in a register, rather than a direct call.