[LLVMdev] Official git mirroring of llvm, clang, lldb, test-suite, etc.?

Óscar Fuentes ofv at wanadoo.es
Mon Jan 31 14:24:48 PST 2011

greened at obbligato.org (David A. Greene) writes:

> I can't use git-svn to pull because we use svn on our end.  One can't do
> this:
>
> (Upstream) svn <--> git-svn <--> git <--> git-svn <--> svn (Downstream)
>
> because the revisions in the two svn repositories don't have anything to
> do with each other.

That's what you deserve, for using svn at your side ;-)

But if you want to transfer revisions from LLVM's svn to your svn repo,
maybe you can do that:

(Upstream) svn <--> git-svn <--> svn (Downstream)

You would use two git-svn branches on the git repo, one for each svn
repo, and merge revisions among the two. I'm not user if that's
possible, though. Another option is to use two git-svn repos:

(Upstream) svn <--> git-svn <--> git-svn <--> svn (Downstream)

> Actually, I am mostly interesed in git because it makes merging in
> upstream code dead simple.  Right now I've implemented a couple of
> downright scary scripts to hack a ditributed SCM module on top of
> Subversion.  It's really about as far away from "fun" as one can get.
>
> It would be even better if LLVM had a git mirror that could push changes
> to svn as well but let's do things one step at a time.  :)

The difficult part is not on LLVM's using svn, the problem is on you
using svn.

And for a git mirror that pushes changes to the LLVM svn repo, that's
*way* more tricky than it seems.