[LLVMdev] Extending LLVM for high-level types

Alexandre Cossette alex.cossette at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 14:30:35 PST 2011

Nick Lewycky wrote:
> Alexandre Cossette wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm designing a programming language named C³ (or C3). I'm already using LLVM as a back-end for my prototype compiler and it's wonderful to use. Thanks for such a great system!
>>
>> I now have more ambitious goals and I would like to use the LLVM IR as my internal C³ IR.
>
> Absolutely not.
>
> In short, LLVM is its own language. You don't need to extend LLVM IR to support your programming language any more than you need to extend x86 processors to support it.

I guess I did not express myself clearly. I know I can have my own IR and compile that to LLVM IR. I simply see an opportunity to externally extend the existing system for high-level optimizations instead of writing my own SSA form IR from scratch. I had no intention to change anything inside the LLVM code base! (Except bugs I might find.)

After further investigation, I see that the Type class hierarchy does not allow for external extension because of the TypeID enum. Maybe I could hack something using opaque types?

> There's the burden of having that support. For starters LLVM's types are purely based on the storage that they back. Most languages use type to provide static program safety, or possibly semantics (ie., + means string concat on a string but addition on integers). LLVM doesn't do that. Further our types are uniqued such that any two types with the same in-memory representation have the same LLVM type; we don't discard names, but we don't preserve a distinction because there isn't any distinction to preserve. That in turn allows us to do fast structural comparisons using a pointer comparison.

Some C³ semantics would be handled as transformations inside my custom pass (most would be already handled by my front-end). Regarding the fact that types are "uniqued",  I want to note that opaque types are not. To what extent can I keep those around while executing passes?

> Then we'd have to extend core passes like mem2reg, gvn, and all of their dependencies. These are performance critical pieces of kit, and we categorically reject any attempt to push in pieces of infrastructure that won't be needed by all users. Put another way, if I want to use LLVM for C code on a cell phone, I shouldn't need to pay the memory/execution-time price for your LLVM changes to support C³.

As I understand it, mem2reg only relies on "alloca", "store" and "load" instructions. The algorithm is non-trivial (that's why I want to use it instead of coding my own) but does not seem to have complicated dependencies. Am I right?

> Finally, you haven't detailed what benefit you expect out of your proposal. Why can't you just lower to the existing IR and get the same optimizations out of it? What optimizations aren't possible and why? Can we tackle those issues instead? We've gotten very far by designing extensions to LLVM which are language-agnostic and can be used by any client. For example, if your language has alias analysis optimizations that rely on high-level type information, LLVM has a TBAA (type based aliasing analysis) design that you could employ to give LLVM the additional information it needs to optimize with.

One scenario that I have in mind is being able to do common subexpression elimination before doing what I call "object allocation" (in analogy to "register allocation"). The result is less temporary objects and therefore less constructor/destructor calls and better resource usage. Contrary to C++, the transformations are sound because all C³ types are regular, by Alex Stepanov's definition of "regular types".

Thanks for pointing out TBAA. Comments in LLVM 2.8 says "This is a work-in-progress. It doesn't work yet, and the metadata format isn't stable." What's the current status?

> Sorry to sound so negative, but I'm confident that LLVM can provide you with the same generated code quality in the same execution time, only through a different design than you propose. If you can show us missed optimizations (or bad compile time problems) when using the naive approach of lowering your high-level types to llvm's low-level types, please let us know so we can solve them case-by-case!

It's all right. Don't worry, I don't want to turn LLVM inside out :)
That being said, I still believe there is a way I could use that nice mem2reg pass for my purpose...

Alex