[LLVMdev] CMake and Xcode

Nick Kledzik kledzik at apple.com
Thu Jan 13 11:07:52 PST 2011

I've been using make to build llvm but use Xcode for most other projects I work on.  I decided to try running cmake to build an xcode project for llvm.  The results were disappointing.

The generated xcode project does not encode that executables link with static libraries.  Instead, the static libraries are snuck in under "Other linker flags", then some pre- and post- scripts on every target are run which cause xcode to re-check mod times on files and forces a re-link.  This is painfully slow.  What should be a two second: recompile file, update static library, re-link executable turns into a 15 second running of dozens of shells scripts that touch and copy files.

I tried making a simple cmake project with a static library and a main executable, and saw the same crazy xcode project generated.

Are there cmake settings to correct this?  Is there some reason the xcode projects are made like this?  Or is is just that the cmake maintainers have not had the time to invest in generated proper xcode projects?

-Nick