[LLVMdev] Function-level metadata for OpenCL (was Re: OpenCL support)

Villmow, Micah Micah.Villmow at amd.com
Tue Jan 4 11:59:19 PST 2011

[Villmow, Micah] Well, if the entry point keeps its same name, and the body is renamed, then all of the call sites must also be modified to point to the body and not the entry point. Either way is fine, as long as it is something that I think everyone can agree with.
> To a certain extent it also removes the need to attach metadata for
> reqd_work_group_size etc at the function level (if required by the
> target), since this information can be attached to intrinsic calls
> within the entry point.  Example:
>
> define void @foo() nounwind {
> entry:
>   call void @llvm.opencl.reqd.work.group.size(i32 4, i32 1, i32 1)
>   ; .. other setup ..
>   call void @foo_kernel()
>   ret void
> }
>
> define internal void @foo_kernel() nounwind {
>   ; ... body ...
> }
>
> These intrinsics wouldn't necessarily expand to target code directly,
> but would be used to generate something appropriate for the target in
> a similar fashion to the debug metadata intrinsics.  Also, by keeping
> the metadata in the entry point we guarantee that no more than one
> intrinsic call may appear within a function even if the inliner
> is used, allowing code generators to simply search for uses of the
> @llvm.opencl.reqd.work.group.size (or whatever) intrinsic to create
> a mapping from functions to attributes.

[Villmow, Micah] Have you had any thoughts about bringing this up with Khronos about standardizing some of these ideas/conventions between the multiple vendors that are using LLVM for their OpenCL implementations?