[LLVMdev] Reviewer for our Path Profiling Implementation

Carolina Simões Gomes carolina.sgomes at gmail.com
Mon Jan 3 07:22:32 PST 2011

I am interested in contributing to an LLVM-with-profiling effort, and agree
with the unified API idea. Even if most passes right now do not make use of
any kind of profiling, I believe this is mostly due to the fact that
integrating transformation passes and profilers is not as smooth a process
as it should be.

Right now I am working on implementing speculative PRE using Adam's path
profile, and hopefully by the end of the implementation I will have good
suggestions on how to improve this integration.

On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 6:07 PM, J Nelson Amaral <amaral at cs.ualberta.ca>wrote:

>> would
>> actual
>> >
>> > I'd really prefer to work on trunk.
>>
>> In the near term Adam's patch profiling should be checked into llvm/trunk.
>> I think it's important that it live on the same tree as the current llvm
>> profilers with which it's tightly integrated. As we work toward implementing
>> Bob's profiling proposal, it will either need to be integrated with the new
>> framework or it will be removed along with the other stale profilers. Even
>> if it's removed from trunk, the original implementation will still be
>> available in working condition from subversion. We should be able to
>> maintain a reference to it in the latest source or docs.
>>
>> -Andy
>>

> Andy:
>
> This is a reasonable proposal to give developers interested a chance to try
> Adam's implementation of path profiling in the short term. We ourselves will
> be experimenting with the use of this implementation in some code
> transformations to see if we observe any impact on performance.
>
> --
>         Cheers,
>
>                 Nelson
>
>            /
>     \     /  /   Jose Nelson Amaral - amaral at cs.ualberta.ca
>      )   /  (    Professor
>     /   /    \   Dept. of Computing Science - University of Alberta
>    (   /      )  Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, T6G 2E8
>     \ O      /   Phone: (780)492-5411      Fax: (780)492-1071
>      \      /    http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/~amaral
>       `----'

[Carolina Simões Gomes]
Computer Engineer - Unicamp, Brasil