[LLVMdev] RFC: LLVM Release Documentation Changes

Renato Golin rengolin at systemcall.org
Sat Feb 26 14:50:23 PST 2011

On 25 February 2011 22:46, Bill Wendling <wendling at apple.com> wrote:
> Duncan brought up the question of how to release clang. It would be nice to package clang by itself without all of the LLVM tools. Basically, making it a standalone package. I have no problem with this (in fact, I think it's a great idea), but it does mean changing Makefiles and stuff. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Bill,

We were discussing exactly that this week. With Clang inside LLVM's
tree, it's hard for us to create separate (internal) products for
them, so we can build and test them separately (EDG+LLVM against
Clang+LLVM). But I'm not sure we're the most common types of users...

I believe the Debian package for Clang is separate from LLVM, which
makes sense, but that might be hard to produce, given that they're too
tightly coupled... Debian maintainers would know more... ;)

cheers,
--renato