[LLVMdev] New TargetSpec 'llvmnote'

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Feb 23 02:47:41 PST 2011

On 02/23/11 02:46, Chris Lattner wrote:
[...]
> Remember that this isn't intended to be something users deal with, it's just an internal implementation detail of the compiler, debugger, nm implementation, etc.

Can I put in a plea to have as much of LLVM as possible *not* require
knowledge of a single, specific architecture to work?

I have various things I would like to do that work on abstract machines,
where I don't have a specific target or CPU in mind, but just want to
work at the bitcode level. Right now the only way I know of doing this
is to hardcode the datalayout into a new target and rebuild the whole
shooting match, LLVM and clang combined. I very much do not want to do this.

What would be really nice is to be able to specify a custom datalayout
on the command line and have as many tools as possible still work,
particularly clang --- trying to generate code with non-standard
datalayouts is kinda hard right now.

│ "Thou who might be our Father, who perhaps may be in Heaven, hallowed
│ be Thy Name, if Name Thou hast and any desire to see it hallowed..."
│ --- _Creatures of Light and Darkness_, Roger Zelazny