[LLVMdev] Question about Value Range Propagation

John Criswell criswell at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 22 12:57:34 PST 2011

On 2/22/11 5:19 AM, Duncan Sands wrote:
> Hi Andrey,
>
>> On 21.02.2011 20:27, Douglas do Couto Teixeira wrote:
>>> My work is not part of the LLVM mainline yet. But I would be happy to
>>> contribute with the code of my range analysis implementation if it can help
>>> you in something else.
>> We were thinking of adding VRP to LLVM too, though we were mostly
>> interested in Patterson's approach (i.e. not connected with SSI form).  It
>> would be great if you can share the code nevertheless.
> the big problem with Patterson's VRP is that it is expensive in terms of
> compile time.  LLVM used to have some passes (ABCD, predsimplify) that did
> this kind of thing, but they were removed essentially because their compile
> time was too great for the goodness they brought.

I was under the impression that ABCD was removed because no one was
maintaining and improving it.  Is my impression incorrect?

The SAFECode compiler adds additional run-time checks for array bounds
checking.  If the ABCD code was working but just wasn't useful for
regular C code, I'd like to know.  It may still have value for projects
like SAFECode.

-- John T.