[LLVMdev] EFLAGS and MVT::Glue

Damien Vincent damien.llvm at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 09:55:37 PST 2011

I'd like to point out some issues I encountered when using MVT::Flag
Basically, applying some transformations might introduce some cycles in the
graph (it's not a DAG anymore !).

Let's consider your example:
sub     r2, r3, r2
cmp     r2, #0
bge     .LBB0_1

The initial graph might look like this one:
I1: sub(r3,r2) ==> I2: CopyToReg
I1 ==> I3: cmp r2, #0
I2 (input chain) & I3 (condition code) ==> I4: bge
with I3 and I4 glued together.

Now let's assume you remove the cmp instruction:
I1: sub(r3,r2) ==> I2: CopyToReg
I2(input chain) & I1 (condition code) ==> I4:bge
with I1 and I4 glued together.
And we just created a cycle in the graph:
- a successor of I1 is I4
- a successor of I4 is I2 (because I1 and I4  are glued & I2 is a successor
of I1)
- a direct successor if I2 is I4
and so the cycle is there !

Please tell me if I missed something... But to me, it's "easy" to have some
cycles in the graph even if it still looks a DAG when you draw the graph.

  Damien