[LLVMdev] Implementing platform specific library call simplification

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Sun Feb 13 10:50:14 PST 2011

On Feb 13, 2011, at 2:31 AM, NAKAMURA Takumi wrote:

> Chris and all,
>
> IMHO I think SimplifyLibcall and similar might be provided by rather
> clang (and frontends), than LLVM itself.
> Frontends might know better than LLVM (as backend infrastructure).

SimplifyLibcall is applicable to any language that runs with libc (almost all of them), and at LTO time you can have mixed languages.  I think that LLVM providing this functionality is goodness, and more generally I'd like to move it into instcombine at some point (when the appropriate "no-builtins" issues and target hooks are dealt with).

-Chris