[LLVMdev] One or many modules with the JIT?

Rob Nikander rob.nikander at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 18:50:19 PST 2011

Hi,

I'm at the beginning stages of building a language that uses the JIT,
and works like a scripting language in that you run the source files
without explicit compilation.  I'd like to start using modules in the
source language.  Usually a module will correspond to a file.  I'm
wondering if I should also use separate LLVM modules, or keep
compiling everything to the single module associated with the JIT
engine.   I see an `addModule' function in the engine, but I don't
know what it does.  Does that take care of linking?   If that allows
me to use separate LLVM modules, is there an advantage of doing it
that way?

thanks,
Rob