[LLVMdev] Building LLVM on Cygwin.

NAKAMURA Takumi geek4civic at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 17:32:08 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 3:19 AM, Anand Arumugam <anand.arumug at gmail.com> wrote:
> [Anand] Here is the config.status output taken from '/cygdrive/c/llvm-2.8':
>
> ./config.status --version
> llvm config.status 2.8
> configured by src/configure, generated by GNU Autoconf 2.60,
>   with options "'--prefix=/cygdrive/c/llvm-2.8'"

> So if I have given a different prefix other than the directory from where
> the build is done, then it will work. Is that what you are saying?

Sure.

And, ... I missed your former article; I guess below.

  - You had attempted iteratively "make install"
  - At your 1st configure, your build directory /cygdrive/c/llvm-2.8
would not contain /cygdrive/c/llvm-2.8/include/llvm_c.
  - At your 1st "make install", you might get failure to attempt to
install include/llvm/Config/* to same directory on the filesystem.
(would succeed to install other include/llvm/*, include/llvm_c/* INTO
THE BUILD DIRECTORY!)
  - At your 2nd build and install, everything went messily!

Do you understand what "--prefix=/cygdrive/c/llvm-2.8" means?
I recommend you should erase all src, build, install directories(rm
-rf /cygdrive/c/llvm-2.8), and retry building on separated directory.

ps. I don't also recommend to build on upper directory
(src=/cygdrive/c/llvm-2.8/src, build=/cygdrive/c/llvm-2.8). Then you
would lose benefit to clean up a build with "rm -rf {build
directory}". An example of recommendation is;
  - src: /home/tsundere/sources/llvm-2.8
  - build: /home/tsundere/working/directory/to/build/llvm
  --prefix=/cygdrive/c/llvm-2.8 (I suggest it would be possible with
--prefix=/usr/local on cygwin)

...Takumi